Woman dies after returning into burning home to rescue a pet

Lamar Police Dept say the cause of the fire has been determined accidental.
KOAM HOUSE FIRE FILE IMAGE
KOAM HOUSE FIRE FILE IMAGE

LAMAR, Mo. — Saturday morning about 6 a.m. Barton County E911 were alerted to reports of a fire near 10th and Grand.

Lamar Police, Lamar Fire and Barton County Ambulance responded.

“Upon arrival they found the home with flames showing and heavy smoke. The residence had been occupied by William Parker, 67 and Betty Jo Parker, 71,” Lamar PD state in a release of information.

William was transported to an area hospital for treatment of non-life threating injuries. Betty Jo was found deceased in the home.

Lamar PD continues, “It appears that Betty Jo returned into the home to rescue a pet and was overcome by smoke.”

The fire scene was investigated by The Lamar Fire Department, The Lamar Police Department, and the State Fire Marshal’s Office.

The fire has been ruled accidental.

This is a breaking news story. We will update with more information as it becomes available.