Webb City Fire Department says storing unused fireworks is unsafe
Each year, around 17,000 fires nationwide are caused by fireworks, according to the latest numbers from the National Fire Protection Association.
That fire risk is why the Webb City Fire Department is advising people not to store unused fireworks.
Firework manufacturers have several safety standards in place for storing fireworks that average homes do not have.
Officials say the longer fireworks sit, there is a higher chance for them to become unstable or to be ruined due to humidity.
“We definitely do not recommend storing fireworks,” said Scotty Powell, Webb City Fire Department. “The best way to do it is remove the fuse and soak the firework in water until it’s completely saturated, then double bag it and set it out to the trash, but also make sure that’s okay with the trash companies and the local jurisdictions that you live in.”
Webb City officials say they only responded to a few grass fires and smoke in area calls this weekend.
They say recent rains made it not as dry, which led to an overall safe Fourth of July.