Today in History (Sept. 10)
Today is Saturday, Sept. 10, the 253rd day of 2022.
- In 1813, an American naval force commanded by Oliver H. Perry defeated the British in the Battle of Lake Erie during the War of 1812.
- In 1987, Pope John Paul II arrived in Miami, where he was welcomed by President Ronald Reagan and first lady Nancy Reagan as he began a 10-day tour of the United States.
- In 2015, New York State approved gradually raising the minimum wage for fast-food workers to $15 an hour — the first time any state had set the minimum that high.
- In 1993, “The X-Files” debuted on Fox.
- In 1998, some Hindu groups criticized Madonna’s performance at the MTV Video Music Awards. She wore a see-through shirt and a Hindu facial marking while performing “Ray of Light.”
- In 2012, Andy Murray became the first British man since 1936 to capture a Grand Slam title, beating defending champion Novak Djokovic (NOH’-vak JOH’-kuh-vich), 7-6 (10), 7-5, 2-6, 3-6, 6-2 to win the U.S. Open in five grueling sets.
- In 1608, John Smith was elected president of the Jamestown colony council in Virginia.
- In 1962, the U.S. Supreme Court ordered the University of Mississippi to admit James Meredith, a Black student.
- In 1991, the Senate Judiciary Committee opened hearings on the nomination of Clarence Thomas to the U.S. Supreme Court.
Actor Greg Mullavey is 89. Jazz vibraphonist Roy Ayers is 82. Actor Tom Ligon is 82. Singer Danny Hutton (Three Dog Night) is 80. Singer Jose Feliciano is 77. Actor Judy Geeson is 74. Former Canadian first lady Margaret Trudeau is 74. Political commentator Bill O’Reilly is 73. Rock musician Joe Perry (Aerosmith) is 72. Country singer Rosie Flores is 72. Actor Amy Irving is 69. Sen. Cynthia Lummis, R-Wyo., is 68. Actor-director Clark Johnson is 68. Actor Kate Burton is 65. Movie director Chris Columbus is 64. Actor Colin Firth is 62. Rock singer-musician David Lowery (Cracker) is 62. Actor Sean O’Bryan is 59. Baseball Hall of Famer Randy Johnson is 59. Actor Raymond Cruz is 58. Rock musician Stevie D. (Buckcherry) is 56. Rock singer-musician Miles Zuniga (Fastball) is 56. Actor Nina Repeta (NY’-nuh ruh-PEHT’-ah) is 55. Rapper Big Daddy Kane is 54. Movie director Guy Ritchie is 54. Actor Johnathon Schaech (shehk) is 53. Contemporary Christian singer Sara Groves is 50. Actor Ryan Phillippe (FIHL’-ih-pee) is 48. Actor Kyle Bornheimer is 47. Actor Jacob Young is 43. Rock musician Mikey Way (My Chemical Romance) is 42. Olympic bronze medal figure skater Timothy Goebel (GAY’-bul) is 42. Ballerina Misty Copeland is 40. MLB All-Star first-baseman Joey Votto (VAH’-toh) is 39. Rock musician Matthew Followill (Kings of Leon) is 38. Singer Ashley Monroe (Pistol Annies) is 36. MLB All-Star first-baseman Paul Goldschmidt is 35. Singer Sanjaya Malakar (san-JY’-uh MA’-luh-kar) (“American Idol”) is 33. Actor Chandler Massey is 32. Actor Hannah Hodson is 31. Actor Gabriel Bateman is 18.
COPYRIGHT 2022 BY KOAM NEWS NOW. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.