Today in history (Oct. 15)
Today is Saturday, Oct. 15, the 288th day of 2022. This is today in history.
- In 1815, Napoleon Bonaparte, the deposed Emperor of the French, arrived on the British-ruled South Atlantic island of St. Helena, where he spent the last 5 1/2 years of his life in exile.
- In 1966, the Black Panther Party was founded by Huey Newton and Bobby Seale in Oakland, California.
- In 2021, British Conservative lawmaker David Amess was stabbed to death as he met with constituents at a church hall; the assailant, an Islamic State supporter who said he targeted Amess because of his past support for airstrikes on Syria, was convicted and sentenced to life in prison.
- In 1997, British Royal Air Force pilot Andy Green twice drove a jet-powered car in the Nevada desert faster than the speed of sound, officially shattering the world’s land-speed record.
- In 2012, Former pro wrestler Hulk Hogan sued the news and gossip website Gawker for posting a lewd video of him online. (Hogan won a $140 million verdict against Gawker, which ended up settling for $31 million in a legal fight that led to the media company’s bankruptcy.)
- In 2017, Former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick filed a grievance against the NFL, alleging that he was still unsigned because of collusion by owners resulting from his protests during the national anthem.
- In 1966, President Lyndon B. Johnson signed a bill creating the U.S. Department of Transportation.
- In 1976, in the first debate of its kind between vice-presidential nominees, Democrat Walter F. Mondale and Republican Bob Dole faced off in Houston.
- In 1991, despite sexual harassment allegations by Anita Hill, the Senate narrowly confirmed the nomination of Clarence Thomas to the U.S. Supreme Court, 52-48.
Singer Barry McGuire is 87. Actor Linda Lavin is 85. Rock musician Don Stevenson (Moby Grape) is 80. Baseball Hall of Famer Jim Palmer is 77. Singer-musician Richard Carpenter is 76. Actor Victor Banerjee is 76. Former tennis player Roscoe Tanner is 71. Singer Tito Jackson is 69. Actor-comedian Larry Miller is 69. Actor Jere Burns is 68. Movie director Mira Nair is 65. Britain’s Duchess of York, Sarah Ferguson, is 63. Chef Emeril Lagasse (EM’-ur-ul leh-GAH’-see) is 63. Rock musician Mark Reznicek (REHZ’-nih-chehk) is 60. Singer Eric Benet (beh-NAY’) is 56. Actor Vanessa Marcil is 54. Singer-actor-TV host Paige Davis is 53. Country singer Kimberly Schlapman (Little Big Town) is 53. Actor Dominic West is 53. R&B singer Ginuwine (JIHN’-yoo-wyn) is 52. Christian singer-actor Jaci (JAK’-ee) Velasquez is 43. Actor Brandon Jay McLaren is 42. R&B singer Keyshia Cole is 41. Actor Vincent Martella is 30. Actor Bailee Madison is 23.
COPYRIGHT 2022 BY KOAM NEWS NOW. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.