Today in history (Mar. 6)
Today is Sunday, March 6, the 65th day of 2022. This is today in history.
- In 2013, Joplin’s Chamber of Commerce created a new map for its website as Joplin continued to rebuild after the tornado. The chamber sold advertising spots businesses in exchange for their contact info appearing on the newly constructed Joplin map.
- In 2014, Joplin City Hall announced its plans to install a new 300-watt weather radio transmitter.
- In 2015, 55-year-old James Willard was sentenced to 14 years in prison on charges of Voluntary Manslaughter in a stabbing incident.
- In 1834, the city of York in Upper Canada was incorporated as Toronto.
- In 1836, the Alamo in San Antonio, Texas, fell as Mexican forces led by General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna stormed the fortress after a 13-day siege.
- In 1912, Oreo sandwich cookies were first introduced by the National Biscuit Co.
- In 1964, heavyweight boxing champion Cassius Clay officially changed his name to Muhammad Ali.
- In 1970, serial killer Charles Manson’s album “Lie” was released.
- In 1981, Walter Cronkite signed off for the last time as principal anchorman of “The CBS Evening News.”
- In 1857, the U.S. Supreme Court, in Dred Scott v. Sandford, ruled 7-2 that Scott, a slave, was not an American citizen and therefore could not sue for his freedom in federal court.
- In 1933, a national bank holiday declared by President Franklin D. Roosevelt aimed at calming panicked depositors went into effect.
- In 2017, President Donald Trump signed a scaled-back version of his controversial ban on many foreign travelers, one that still barred new visas for people from six Muslim-majority countries and temporarily shut down America’s refugee program.
Former FBI and CIA director William Webster is 98. Former Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan is 96. Dancer-actor Carmen de Lavallade is 91. Former Soviet cosmonaut Valentina Tereshkova is 85. Former Sen. Christopher “Kit” Bond, R-Mo., is 83. Actor-writer Joanna Miles is 82. Actor Ben Murphy is 80. Opera singer Dame Kiri Te Kanawa is 78. Rock musician Hugh Grundy (The Zombies) is 77. Rock singer-musician David Gilmour (Pink Floyd) is 76. Actor Anna Maria Horsford is 75. Actor-director Rob Reiner is 75. Singer Kiki Dee is 75. TV consumer reporter John Stossel is 75. Composer-lyricist Stephen Schwartz is 74. Rock singer-musician Phil Alvin (The Blasters) is 69. Sports correspondent Armen Keteyian is 69. Actor Tom Arnold is 63. Actor D.L. Hughley is 59. Country songwriter Skip Ewing is 58. Actor Shuler Hensley is 55. Actor Connie Britton is 55. Actor Moira Kelly is 54. Actor Amy Pietz is 53. Rock musician Chris Broderick (Megadeth) is 52. Basketball Hall of Famer Shaquille O’Neal is 50. Country singer Trent Willmon is 49. Rapper Beanie Sigel is 48. Rapper Bubba Sparxxx is 45. Actor Shaun Evans is 42. Rock musician Chris Tomson (Vampire Weekend) is 38. MLB pitcher Jake Arrieta is 36. Actor Eli Marienthal is 36. Rapper/producer Tyler, the Creator is 31. Actor Dillon Freasier is 26. Actor Savannah Stehlin is 26. Actor Millicent Simmonds (Film: “Wonderstruck”) is 19.
COPYRIGHT 2022 BY KOAM NEWS NOW. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.