Today in history (Mar. 22)
Today is Tuesday, March 22, the 81st day of 2022. This is today in history.
- In 2013, Pittsburg Police Officers arrested two teens connected with armed robberies. The pair were charged with possession of stolen property, drugs, and paraphernalia.
- In 2014, Two Nevada men went to jail for fraud after they stole $1.4 million from Cargill, costing the company more than two million dollars total.
- In 2015, Mercy Hospital finalized its move to a new location in Joplin, Missouri.
- In 1765, the British Parliament passed the Stamp Act to raise money from the American colonies, which fiercely resisted the tax.
- In 1941, the Grand Coulee hydroelectric dam in Washington state officially went into operation.
- In 2010, Google Inc. stopped censoring the Internet for China by shifting its search engine off the mainland to Hong Kong.
- In 1963, The Beatles’ debut album, “Please Please Me,” was released in the United Kingdom by Parlophone.
- In 1978, Karl Wallenda, the 73-year-old patriarch of “The Flying Wallendas” high-wire act, fell to his death while attempting to walk a cable strung between two hotel towers in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- In 2012, Coroner officials ruled singer Whitney Houston died by drowning the previous February, but that heart disease and cocaine use were contributing factors.
- In 1988, both houses of Congress overrode President Ronald Reagan’s veto of the Civil Rights Restoration Act.
- In 2019, special counsel Robert Mueller closed his Russia investigation with no new charges, delivering his final report to Justice Department officials.
- Also in 2019, Former President Jimmy Carter became the longest-living chief executive in American history; at 94 years and 172 days, he exceeded the lifespan of the late former President George H.W. Bush.
Evangelist broadcaster Pat Robertson is 92. Actor William Shatner is 91. Former Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, is 88. Actor M. Emmet Walsh is 87. Actor-singer Jeremy Clyde is 81. Singer-guitarist George Benson is 79. Writer James Patterson is 75. CNN newscaster Wolf Blitzer is 74. Composer Andrew Lloyd Webber is 74. Actor Fanny Ardant is 73. Sportscaster Bob Costas is 70. Country singer James House is 67. Actor Lena Olin is 67. Singer-actor Stephanie Mills is 65. Actor Matthew Modine is 63. Actor-comedian Keegan-Michael Key is 51. Actor Will Yun Lee is 51. Olympic silver medal figure skater Elvis Stojko is 50. Sen. Alex Padilla, D-Calif., is 49. Actor Guillermo Diaz is 47. Actor Anne Dudek is 47. Actor Cole Hauser is 47. Actor Kellie Williams is 46. Actor Reese Witherspoon is 46. Rock musician John Otto (Limp Bizkit) is 45. Actor Tiffany Dupont is 41. Rapper Mims is 41. Actor Constance Wu is 40. Actor James Wolk is 37.
COPYRIGHT 2022 BY KOAM NEWS NOW. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.