Today in history (Jan. 25)
Today is Tuesday, Jan. 25, the 25th day of 2022. This is today in history.
- In 1945, the World War II Battle of the Bulge ended as German forces were pushed back to their original positions.
- In 1945, Grand Rapids, Michigan, became the first community to add fluoride to its public water supply.
- In 1971, Charles Manson and three women followers were convicted in Los Angeles of murder and conspiracy in the 1969 slayings of seven people, including actor Sharon Tate.
- In 2013, The Missouri Board of Education President resigned after a second lawsuit accused him of using his position as a pastor to engage in sexual misconduct.
- In 2017, Carthage Police reported 818 crimes in the previous year, making it 17 fewer than the year before.
- In 2018, some Galena residents voiced their disapproval toward the idea of a new gentleman’s club in the town.
- In 1924, the first Winter Olympic Games opened in Chamonix (shah-moh-NEE’), France.
- In 1994, maintaining his innocence, singer Michael Jackson settled a child molestation lawsuit against him; terms were confidential, although the monetary figure was reportedly $22 million.
- In 2010, “Avatar” passed “Titanic” as the highest-grossing film of all time.
- In 2012, U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords of Arizona returned to Congress to officially tender her resignation a year after she was shot and severely wounded in her home district.
- In 2017, Donald Trump moved aggressively to tighten the nation’s immigration controls, signing executive actions to jumpstart construction of his promised U.S.-Mexico border wall and cut federal grants for immigrant-protecting “sanctuary cities.”
- In 2020, President Donald Trump’s defense team opened its arguments at his first Senate impeachment trial.
Country singer Claude Gray is 90. Actor Leigh Taylor-Young is 78. Actor Jenifer Lewis is 65. Country musician Mike Burch (River Road) is 56. R&B singer Kina is 53. Actor China Kantner is 51. Actor Ana Ortiz is 51. Drummer Joe Sirois (sih-ROYS’) (Mighty Mighty Bosstones) is 50. Musician Matt Odmark (OHD’-mark) (Jars of Clay) is 48. Actor Mia Kirshner is 47. Actor Christine Lakin is 43. R&B singer Alicia (ah-LEE’-shuh) Keys is 42. Actor Michael Trevino is 37. Pop musician Calum Hood (5 Seconds to Summer) is 26. Actor Olivia Edward is 15.
COPYRIGHT 2022 BY KOAM NEWS NOW. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.