Today in history (Jan. 22)
Today is Saturday, Jan. 22, the 22nd day of 2022. This is today in history.
Today in history
- In 1901, Britain’s Queen Victoria died at age 81 after a reign of 63 years; she was succeeded by her eldest son, Edward VII.
- In 1998, Theodore Kaczynski (kah-ZIHN’-skee) pleaded guilty in Sacramento, California, to being the Unabomber responsible for three deaths and 29 injuries in return for a sentence of life in prison without parole.
- In 2012, Longtime Penn State coach Joe Paterno, who’d won more games than anyone in major college football but was fired amid a child sex abuse scandal that scarred his reputation, died at age 85.
- In 1947, America’s first commercially licensed television station west of the Mississippi, KTLA-TV in Los Angeles, made its official debut.
- In 2006, Kobe Bryant scored 81 points, the second-highest in NBA history, in the Los Angeles Lakers’ 122-104 victory over the Toronto Raptors.
- In 2021, Former “Nightly News” anchor Tom Brokaw said he was retiring from NBC News after working at the network for 55 years.
- In 2013, The Pittsburg City Commission approved a $5-million-dollar investment over 20-years from the city for a new indoor facility at Pitt State.
- In 2014, Joplin’s City Council approved a proposal to buy a new Tolley. The city’s previous one had been in service since 2007.
- In 2016, A winter storm forced some Pittsburg students to extend their trip in Washington D.C.
- In 1997, the Senate confirmed Madeleine Albright as the nation’s first female secretary of state.
- In 2009, President Barack Obama signed an executive order to close the Guantanamo Bay prison camp within a year.
- In 2021, Senate leaders announced that opening statements in the impeachment trial of Donald Trump over the Capitol riot would begin the week of Feb. 8.
Actor Piper Laurie is 90. Celebrity chef Graham Kerr (TV: “The Galloping Gourmet”) is 88. Author Joseph Wambaugh is 85. Singer Steve Perry is 73. Country singer-musician Teddy Gentry (Alabama) is 70. Movie director Jim Jarmusch is 69. Actor John Wesley Shipp is 67. Hockey Hall of Famer Mike Bossy is 65. Actor Linda Blair is 63. Actor Diane Lane is 57. Actor and rap DJ Jazzy Jeff is 57. Celebrity chef Guy Fieri is 54. Actor Olivia d’Abo is 53. Actor Katie Finneran is 51. Actor Gabriel Macht is 50. Actor Balthazar Getty is 47. Actor Christopher Kennedy Masterson is 42. Jazz singer Lizz Wright is 42. Pop singer Willa Ford is 41. Actor Beverley Mitchell is 41. Rock singer-musician Ben Moody is 41. Actor Kevin Sheridan is 40. Actor-singer Phoebe Strole is 39. Rapper Logic is 32. Tennis player Alizé Cornet (uh-LEEZ’ kohr-NAY’) is 32. Actor Sami Gayle is 26.
COPYRIGHT 2022 BY KOAM NEWS NOW. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.