Today in history (Jan. 10)
Today is Saturday, Jan. 15, the 15th day of 2022. This is today in history.
Today in history
- In 1862, the U.S. Senate confirmed President Abraham Lincoln’s choice of Edwin M. Stanton to be the new Secretary of War, replacing Simon Cameron.
- In 1892, the original rules of basketball, devised by James Naismith, were published for the first time in Springfield, Massachusetts, where the game originated.
- In 1943, work was completed on the Pentagon, the headquarters of the U.S. Department of War (now Defense).
- In 1967, the Green Bay Packers of the National Football League defeated the Kansas City Chiefs of the American Football League 35-10 in the first AFL-NFL World Championship Game, retroactively known as Super Bowl I.
- In 2015, Ottawa County Sheriff’s Office investigated the disappearance of a 48-year-old man said to be worth 1.9 million dollars.
- In 2019, the Carthage City Council looked into a proposal to expand Schreibers Foods.
- In 1956, Elvis Presley began his first recording session for RCA Records. “Heartbreak Hotel” was among the songs he recorded.
- In 1989, Michael Jackson’s “Moonwalker” video was released. Jackson played a superhero in the video, which included a lengthy fantasy segment set to the song “Smooth Criminal.”
- In 2016, musician David Bowie died of cancer at the age of 69.
- In 1929, civil rights leader Martin Luther King, Jr. was born in Atlanta.
- In 1973, President Richard M. Nixon announced the suspension of all U.S. offensive action in North Vietnam, citing progress in peace negotiations.
- In 2014, a highly critical and bipartisan Senate report declared that the deadly September 2012 assault on the American diplomatic compound in Benghazi, Libya, could have been prevented; the report spread blame among the State Department, the military and U.S. intelligence.
Actor Margaret O’Brien is 84. Actor Andrea Martin is 75. College and Pro Football Hall of Famer Randy White is 69. Actor-director Mario Van Peebles is 65. Rock musician Adam Jones (Tool) is 57. Actor James Nesbitt is 57. Actor Chad Lowe is 54. Alt-country singer Will Oldham (aka Bonnie Prince Billy) is 52. Actor Regina King is 51. Actor Dorian Missick is 46. Actor Eddie Cahill is 44. Former NFL quarterback Drew Brees is 43. Rapper/reggaeton artist Pitbull is 41. Actor Victor Rasuk is 37. Actor Jessy Schram is 36. Electronic dance musician Skrillex is 34. Actor/singer Dove Cameron is 26. Singer-songwriter Grace VanderWaal (TV: “America’s Got Talent”) is 18.
COPYRIGHT 2022 BY KOAM NEWS NOW. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.