Today in history (Dec. 28)
Today is Tuesday, Dec. 28, the 362nd day of 2021. This is today in history.
Today in history
- In 1908, a major earthquake followed by a tsunami devastated the Italian city of Messina, killing at least 70,000 people.
- In 1981, Elizabeth Jordan Carr, the first American “test-tube” baby, was born in Norfolk, Virginia.
- In 2020, Residents and staff members at a Seattle-area nursing home had the first deadly COVID-19 outbreak in the United States.
- In 1832, John C. Calhoun became the first vice president of the United States to resign, stepping down because of differences with President Andrew Jackson.
- In 1945, Congress officially recognized the Pledge of Allegiance.
- In 1973, the Endangered Species Act was signed into law by President Richard Nixon.
- In 1895, the Lumiere brothers, Auguste and Louis, held the first public showing of their movies in Paris.
- In 2013, the Missouri Lottery said a Powerball ticket with 71 and a half million dollars sold at a Kansas City-area convenience store.
- In 2016, Missouri distributed three million dollars worth of grants to 114 different Sherrif’s departments as part of a meth task force.
Actor Nichelle Nichols is 89. Actor Dame Maggie Smith is 87. Former Sen. Tim Johnson, D-S.D., is 75. Rock singer-musician Edgar Winter is 75. Actor Denzel Washington is 67. TV personality Gayle King is 67. Actor Chad McQueen is 61. Country singer-musician Marty Roe (Diamond Rio) is 61. Actor Malcolm Gets is 58. Actor Mauricio Mendoza is 52. Actor Elaine Hendrix is 51. Political commentator Ana Navarro is 50. Talk show host Seth Meyers is 48. Actor Brendan Hines is 45. Actor Joe Manganiello is 45. Actor Vanessa Ferlito is 44. R&B singer John Legend is 43. Rapper-musician-producer Terrace Martin is 43. Actor Andre Holland is 42. Actor Sienna Miller is 40. Actor Beau Garrett (TV: “The Good Doctor”) is 39. Actor Thomas Dekker is 34. Actor Mackenzie Rosman is 32. Pop singer David Archuleta is 31. Actor Mary-Charles Jones (TV: “Kevin Can Wait”) is 20. Actor Miles Brown is 17.
COPYRIGHT 2022 BY KOAM NEWS NOW. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.