Today in history (Apr. 25)
Today is Monday, April 25, the 115th day of 2022. This is today in history.
- In 2013, the majority of Empire District Electric Shareholders voted down a resolution for more energy-efficient programs.
- In 2015, a routine stop turned fatal after a Miami, Oklahoma man pulled a gun on highway patrol officers.
- In 2017, a double execution took place in Arkansas, the first since the year 2000.
- In 1901, New York Gov. Benjamin Barker Odell, Jr. signed an automobile registration bill that imposed a 15 mph speed limit on highways.
- In 1945, delegates from some 50 countries gathered in San Francisco to organize the United Nations.
- In 1990, the Hubble Space Telescope was deployed in orbit from the space shuttle Discovery.
- In 1977, Elvis Presley made what would be the last recordings of his life, at a concert in Saginaw, Michigan. Three songs appeared in the posthumously released album “Moody Blue.”
- In 1990, tenor saxophonist Dexter Gordon died in Philadelphia of kidney failure at the age of 67. He helped define the be-bop movement, performing with such artists as Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie.
- In 2021, Chloe Zhao became the first woman of color and the second woman ever to win the best director award at the Oscars for her work on “Nomadland.” Anthony Hopkins, at age 83, became the oldest actor to win an Oscar. He won for his work on “The Father.”
- In 1992, Islamic forces in Afghanistan took control of most of the capital of Kabul following the collapse of the Communist government.
- In 2012, The U.S. Supreme Court heard arguments on Arizona’s tough immigration law.
- In 2019, former Vice President Joe Biden entered the Democratic presidential race, declaring the fight against Donald Trump to be a “battle for the soul of this nation.”
Actor Al Pacino is 82. Ballroom dance judge Len Goodman (TV: “Dancing with the Stars”) is 78. Rock musician Stu Cook (Creedence Clearwater Revival) is 77. Singer Bjorn Ulvaeus (BYORN ul-VAY’-us) (ABBA) is 77. Actor Talia Shire is 77. Actor Jeffrey DeMunn is 75. Rock musician Steve Ferrone (Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers) is 72. Country singer-songwriter Rob Crosby is 68. Actor Hank Azaria is 58. Rock singer Andy Bell (Erasure) is 58. Rock musician Eric Avery is 57. Country musician Rory Feek (Joey + Rory) is 57. TV personality Jane Clayson is 55. Actor Renee Zellweger is 53. Actor Gina Torres is 53. Actor Jason Lee is 52. Actor Jason Wiles is 52. Actor Emily Bergl is 47. Actor Marguerite Moreau is 45. Singer Jacob Underwood is 42. Actor Melonie Diaz is 38. Actor Sara Paxton is 34. Actor/producer Allisyn Snyder is 26. Actor Jayden Rey is 13.
COPYRIGHT 2022 BY KOAM NEWS NOW. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.