Today in history (2/26/22)
Today is Saturday, Feb. 26, the 57th day of 2022. This is today in history.
- In 2013, wet and heavy snow that weighed on powerlines and transformers caused many Joplin businesses to begin their day without electricity.
- In 2014, Miami, Oklahoma considered removing several stoplights that the Oklahoma Department of Transportation deemed unnecessary.
- In 2016, Carl Junction Schools increased police patrols after students reported an anonymous threat.
- In 1815, Napoleon Bonaparte escaped from exile on the Island of Elba and headed back to France in a bid to regain power.
- In 1952, Prime Minister Winston Churchill announced that Britain had developed its own atomic bomb.
- In 2005, Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak ordered his country’s constitution changed to allow presidential challengers in an upcoming fall election.
- In 1998, a jury in Amarillo, Texas, rejected an $11 million lawsuit brought by Texas cattlemen who blamed Oprah Winfrey’s talk show for a price fall after a segment on food safety that included a discussion about mad cow disease.
- In 2017, At the 89th Academy Awards, “Moonlight,” an LGBT coming of age drama, won three Oscars, including best picture of 2016 (in a startling gaffe, the musical “La La Land” was mistakenly announced as the best picture winner before the error was corrected).
- In 2021, A newly declassified U.S. intelligence report concluded that Saudi Arabia’s crown prince likely approved the killing of U.S.-based journalist Jamal Khashoggi inside the Saudi consulate in Istanbul.
- In 2012, during an altercation with neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman, who said he acted in self-defense.
- In 2016, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie stunned the Republican establishment by endorsing Donald Trump for president.
- In 2017, Joseph Wapner, the retired Los Angeles judge who presided over “The People’s Court” from 1981 to 1993, died at age 97.
Actor-director Bill Duke is 79. Singer Mitch Ryder is 77. Actor Marta Kristen (TV: “Lost in Space”) is 77. Rock musician Jonathan Cain (Journey) is 72. Singer Michael Bolton is 69. The president of Turkey, Recep Tayyip Erdogan (REH’-jehp TY’-ihp UR’-doh-wahn), is 68. Actor Greg Germann is 64. Sen. Tim Kaine, D-Va., is 64. Bandleader John McDaniel is 61. Actor-martial artist Mark Dacascos is 58. Actor Jennifer Grant is 56. Rock musician Tim Commerford (Audioslave) is 54. Singer Erykah Badu (EHR’-ih-kah bah-DOO’) is 51. Actor Maz Jobrani (TV: “Superior Donuts”) is 50. R&B singer Rico Wade (Society of Soul) is 50. Olympic gold medal swimmer Jenny Thompson is 49. R&B singer Kyle Norman (Jagged Edge) is 47. Actor Greg Rikaart is 45. Rock musician Chris Culos (O.A.R.) is 43. R&B singer Corinne Bailey Rae is 43. Pop singer Nate Ruess (roos) (fun.) is 40. Former tennis player Li Na is 40. Latin singer Natalia Lafourcade is 38. Actor Teresa Palmer is 36.
COPYRIGHT 2022 BY KOAM NEWS NOW. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.