Residence consumed by fire north of Columbus, Kan.

Fire began as resident was lighting a propane heater that appeared to malfunction, catching fire
3c0b0887 6d0d 42b4 A4a5 36ecc310a0a2

CHEROKEE COUNTY, Kan. — Reports of multiple departments responding to a fire north of Columbus Monday night.

Fire crews are on scene of a large working structure fire north of Columbus. Please avoid the area of NE Lawton Road and Highway 7 if possible.”  — Columbus Fire-Rescue

On scene we learn the single story residence was consumed by fire.

C6ae867d 990e 4af6 929b 3b9e3b07178c

 

Chief Steven Burton of Columbus Fire-Rescue tells us the single occupant of the home was lighting a propane heater. There was some sort of malfunction and fire erupted. The resident ran outside and shut off the tank but the home was already on fire.

The resident suffered minor burns but refused medical care.

Mutual aid and support from Cherokee County EMS, Cherokee County Sheriff’s Deputies, West Mineral Fire, Scammon Fire and Weir Fire.

Chief Burton tells us they have contacted the Red Cross to assist the displaced resident.

This is a breaking news story, stay with Joplin News First on KOAM News Now as we continue to learn more.

FOLLOW OUR SOCIALS, SEE NEWS WHILE YOU SURF…

 

View this profile on Instagram

 

Joplin News First (@joplinnewsfirst) • Instagram photos and videos