PITTSBURG, Kan. - ESPN released its list of the "50 best college football programs over 150 years" on Thursday morning.
The Pittsburg State Gorillas are the only current NCAA Division II team to make the list, coming in at #45 today.
The Gorillas have won four national championships and 31 total conference championships.
The article says of Pittsburg State:
"There's no "h" in Pittsburg, Kansas, but there is one in champion. The Gorillas have won four national championships (two NAIA, two NCAA Division II), 31 total conference championships and 12 Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association titles. Most of those (nine) came in the 20 seasons coached by Chuck Broyles (1990 to 2009). Pittsburg State's best-known football alumnus, Dennis Franchione, coached his alma mater to a 53-6 record from 1985 to 1989, before moving on, eventually to TCU, Alabama and Texas A&M."
You can check out the full list from ESPN HERE.
Click here to sign up for the KOAM News Now Sports newsletter.
- Gorillas host annual youth clinic and autograph session
- Diamond Wildcats 2019 season preview
- Carl Junction prepares for upcoming season
- With "the streak" behind them, Lamar turns the page to 2019
- MSSU preps for new season with new head coach
- ESPN names Pitt State top-50 program in college football history