Risk of fire rises as temperature drops: PFD offers these tips
PITTSBURG Kan. – With the next winter storm approaching, the Pittsburg Fire Department would like to remind people to reduce the risk of fire hazards.
The PFD provides the following information to keep you safe:
PFD recommends one smoke detector on each level of your house and one in each bedroom or sleeping area.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) Detectors
Harmful levels of carbon monoxide can be a byproduct of improperly operating gas-fired appliances. CO is odorless, colorless, and tasteless. Residents should have a CO detector on each level of the home.
Space heaters can pose an extreme fire hazard. When using a space heater, they should have adequate clearance from any combustible material. Never use extension cords or power strips to operate a space heater.
In the event of power outages, do not use generators inside any part of your home. Generators produce lethal levels of CO and should be operated outside.
Shoveling snow accounts for many heart attacks and other serious medical emergencies. Use caution when shoveling and do not over-exert yourself.
Frostbite is always a concern when the temperature drops. Wear multiple layers to stay warm and protect your ears, fingers, and any other exposed body part. Normally once you lose feeling you have been exposed too long.
If there is any type of emergency at your home, do not delay calling 9-1-1. The Fire Department is prepared to and will respond to your emergencies.
For questions regarding fire safety and prevention, contact the Pittsburg Fire Department non-emergency line at (620) 231-1870.