Report: Feces found on McDonald’s touchscreens in UK

Traces of feces were found on every McDonald’s touchscreen swabbed in the United Kingdom in an investigation done by metro.co.uk and a London university.

“We were all surprised how much gut and fecal bacteria there was on the touchscreen machines,” said senior lecturer in microbiology at London Metropolitan University Dr. Paul Matawele. “These cause the kind of infections that people pick up in hospitals.”

Diners choose their food on the screens then head to a server to pick up the food, metro.co.uk reported.

Staphylococcus was found on a screen at one branch, the website said. The bacteria can cause blood poisoning and toxic shock syndrome.

“Seeing Staphylococcus on these machines is worrying because it is so contagious,” Matawele said. “It starts around people’s noses, if they touch their nose with their fingers and then transfer it to the touchscreen someone else will get it, and if they have an open cut which it gets into, then it can be dangerous.”

Metro.co.uk’s study with the university’s school of human sciences involved swabs taken from eight McDonald’s restaurants — six in London and two in Birmingham, England.

“Touchscreen technology is being used more and more in our daily lives, but these results show people should not eat food straight after touching them, they are unhygienic and can spread disease,” Matewele said.