Police report additional victim hurt at Gilroy festival shooting
Gilroy police have identified an additional person who suffered a gunshot wound — but narrowly escaped a more serious injury — during the deadly shooting at the city’s famous garlic festival last month.
Officials said a 58-year-old man sustained a graze wound to his head that required stitches. The man’s injuries bring the total number of people shot during the July 28 shooting to 17. Three people — including two children — were killed when Santino William Legan opened fire. Legan killed himself at the festival.
Gilroy Police Capt. Joseph Deras said the shooter was standing to the side of the 58-year-old man and “had (the victim) coughed or sneezed or just moved at all” sideways or backward, “that round would have just struck him square in the head.”
Deras said police were aware of the man and had been trying to reach him when he contacted police earlier this week. The captain said authorities are still processing evidence and going through video footage — including from police body cameras — and witness statements.
Officials say they believe all of the gunshot wound victims have now been identified. Authorities were tracking an additional woman who may have been injured in the incident, but Deras said police do not believe the woman was shot.
The FBI has opened a domestic terrorism case and is continuing to investigate. Although authorities found a “target list” containing religious institutions, courthouses and other sites, they say they have not determined Legan’s motive.