Wallace Ray Garner, age 69, of Mt. Vernon, Missouri, passed away at 6:37 p.m. on Tuesday, March 19, 2019, at the NHC Healthcare in Joplin, Missouri. He was born May 11, 1949, in Mt. Vernon, Missouri, the son of the late Henry and Marjorie (Hood) Garner.
Wally was a 1967 graduate of Mt. Vernon High School, where he held several track records for many years. He was a United States Army Veteran, serving during the Vietnam Era where he earned three Purple Hearts and the Army Commendation Medal for heroism, presented personally to him by General Westmorland, Commander in Vietnam. During his deployment to Vietnam, he was exposed to Agent Orange which was being used to defoliant the jungle cover. He was a fabricator for Positronic Industries, worked at Schreiber Foods, loved to bowl and was a St. Louis Cardinal fan.
Wally is survived by two daughters, Crystal Baker of Kansas City, Missouri and Crystal Phelps and her husband, Chuck of Mt. Vernon; three sons, Shane Garner and fiancé, Shannon Schnake and Travis Garner, all of Mt. Vernon and Wally Garner and his wife, Crystal of Tulsa, Oklahoma; caregiver, Gloria Garner of Mt. Vernon; ten grandchildren, Kearsha Garner, Whitney and Tyler Dean, Destiny and Desiree Alvarado, Alyssa Davis, Cassidy Baker, Marcus, Lucas and Kayla Price; two great-grandchildren, Aubree Garcia and Xavier Hoffele; one brother, Dale Garner and his wife, Mary, of Miller, Missouri; three sisters, Kay Robinson and her husband, Newt, of Stewartsville, Missouri, Vonda Pearlman of Tulsa, Oklahoma and Marsha Druce and her husband, Rodney, of Springfield, Missouri and several nieces and nephews.
A visitation will be held from 6:00-8:00 p.m. on Friday, March 22, 2019, at the Fossett-Mosher Funeral Home in Mt. Vernon. Funeral services will be held at 1:00 p.m. on Saturday, March 23, 2019, in the funeral home chapel with burial to follow at the Summit Cemetery, northeast of Mt. Vernon.
As per family request, please wear casual dress for the visitation and service.
Online condolences may be shared at this website.
To plant a tree in memory of Wallace Ray Garner, please visit our Tribute Store.
- Bill targets vaccine misinformation amid measles outbreak
- Lawsuit: Kansas cadet fired after alleging sexual battery
- Turbine buckles, collapses on Oklahoma wind farm
- Oklahoma lawmakers seek return to 5-day school weeks
- Missouri attorney general to investigate elder abuse hotline
- Many questions after man was fatally injured at concert
- ConocoPhillips settles Oklahoma City water pollution lawsuit
- Missouri man pleads guilty to possessing child pornography
- Former Missouri governor returns to Navy, but not as a SEAL
- Kansas museum sends restored NASA consoles home to Texas
- Missouri State Parks offers free camping for Missouri residents displaced by tornadoes, flooding
- Latest on tornado damage in Jefferson City
- 3 fatalities confirmed in Golden City area after tornado
- New law enforcement unit to crack down on cybercrime
- Judge reverses Missouri trooper's loss of officer license