PITTSBURG, Ks. - Pittsburg's Atkinson Municipal Airport hasn't had a mechanic for the last two years.
"The mechanic that was here took employment elsewhere, so we've been looking for, and the airport's been needing a mechanic on site," said Atkinson Municipal Airport manager Bill Pyle.
And starting in November, Pittsburg's airport will have one. Pittsburg city commissioners have agreed to lease one of the airport's hangers to Zach McGuire of McGuire Aviation.
McGuire and his team will set up shop at the airport and be available for aircraft maintenance and repair.
"I am very excited about that. I'm very happy to be a part of the Pittsburg community, and hopefully I can contribute to the Pittsburg economy," said McGuire.
And Zach's not the only one who's optimistic about bringing in new aviation-related business to Pittsburg.
"He's well known around the area, that he'll have other customers fly in to have him do maintenance. That's good for his business, plus hopefully that will generate some fuel sales for the airport," said Pyle.
Zach is known in the area because McGuire Aviation already has a shop at the Lamar Municipal Airport. He says he's expanding because business is booming.
"There's a lack of aviation mechanics, so if you do have a license and you're an aviation mechanic or a shop, there's a lot of work out there. Economy's picking up," said McGuire.
- Three wounded in shooting outside Lawrence sports bar
- Body found on University of Oklahoma campus
- Kansas National Guard helicopters assist firefighting operations in Cheyenne County
- 3 killed in 4-hour span in separate Kansas City shootings
- People of color make gains in mayoral races across the US
- Officer convicted of 2 misdemeanors for 'rough ride'
- Missouri proposes ban on pot companies paying taxes in cash
- Copyright 2018 by KOAMNewsNow KOAM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Copyright 2019 by KOAMNewsNow KOAM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.