SPRINGFIELD, Mo. - Nicholas Godejohn is sentenced to life in prison without parole for the murder of his girlfriend's mother, Clauddine "Dee Dee" Blanchard. She was a Springfield, Missouri mother who prosecutors say forced her daughter, Gypsy, to pretend she was disabled. Godejohn was also sentenced to 25 years for armed criminal action.
Godejohn was found guilty of the crime on November 16th, 2018.
On Tuesday, November 13th, 2018, a jury watched compelling evidence in the trial of 29-year-old Godejohn - his 2015 confession.
"The truth is... Ok I'll admit it. I did actually stab her," says Godejohn in the interrogation footage. The confession is just a fraction of the hour and a half long interrogation footage watched by all twelve jurors and the defendant himself.
For the next few days in the trial, Greene County prosecutors worked to prove their accusations, that Godejohn not only murdered Clauddine "Dee Dee" Blanchard, but did so after considering the severity of the crime.
"I would have never did it if it were not for me and her," says Godejohn during interrogation.
The state had to prove Godejohn murdered Blanchard with a motive. In this case, prosecutors claimed the motive was infatuation with Clauddine's daughter, Gypsy, who at the time of her mother's killing was being abused.
"So you wouldn't have done it if somebody else would've asked?" questioned authorities in interrogation.
"No. There's no way I would've did it for anyone else," replied Godejohn.
Godejohn's defense team didn't deny his guilt, but tried to persuade jurors that it was his autism that stood in the way of him comprehending what he confessed to doing in 2015.
Family members say Gypsy Blanchard was forced to use a wheelchair and undergo unnecessary medical procedures while living with her mom. She is serving a 10-year prison sentence for second-degree murder. The case has spawned numerous TV specials.
- Narwhal goes viral, a rescue puppy with a tail growing from forehead
- Homeless veterans meals stolen in Kansas
- Nearly 30 Kansas counties, cities take on opioid industry
- Three wounded in shooting outside Lawrence sports bar
- Body found on University of Oklahoma campus
- Kansas National Guard helicopters assist firefighting operations in Cheyenne County
- 3 killed in 4-hour span in separate Kansas City shootings
- Copyright 2018 by KOAMNewsNow KOAM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Copyright 2019 by KOAMNewsNow KOAM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.