MIAMI, Okla. - Shanna Bass is a single mother of two, and while she enjoys the Christmas season, it can be tough to pay for all the things she wants to give to her children.
"It makes any parent feel bad because they just wanna give to their kids, they just wanna give their kids the best that they can and sometimes they can't do it and it's not a good feeling," expressed Bass.
For the past few years, though, Bass has been the recipient of the goodwill of the community. Through donations collected with KOAM's annual toy drive, Christmas morning is joyful.
"Watching their face, open presents, that makes me really happy and it makes me feel good because I had help with the presents for my kids. So it's really fun to see them laughing, and smiling, and the wrapping paper going all over the place," said Bass.
Bass' family is thankful for the generosity of others, knowing that kindness is the greatest gift of all.
"It's doing what the Bible tells us to do, to help our fellow man," said Tristan Russell, Bass' nephew.
"Kids around the world don't get gifts like us," said Bass' daughter, Aiyanna.
For Bass, and countless others, the holidays are less stressful knowing she can count on the community to help keep her kids' toybox full.
"I mean, I'm thankful from the bottom of my heart. I mean without them, there's a lot of people that wouldn't be able to afford Christmas."
Ottawa County Angel Tree is a group effort on the part of NEO Community College, Miami Police Department, Miami Fire Department and other area agencies.
It provides toys and needed items each year for children from birth to 17 years of age.
KOAM is proud to partner with them.
Get the latest local and national headlines straight to your email for free: Sign up here.
- Home Invasion results in murder charge
- Police make a Miranda change in Kansas City
- Tulsa doctor charged in patient deaths
- Fayetteville police officer fatally shot, suspect dead
- Missouri minimum wage set to increase
- Missouri measures would allow college athletes to be paid
- Railroad worker killed in accident in Wichita
- Copyright 2018 by KOAMNewsNow KOAM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Copyright 2019 by KOAMNewsNow KOAM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.