WICHITA, Kan. - Authorities have arrested an 18-year-old in the deadly shooting of a 15-year-old at a Wichita park during an ongoing social media dispute.
The Wichita Eagle reports that police said Thursday night that 18-year-old Malick Garrett was arrested on suspicion of second-degree murder in the death of Marion Wheaton, as well as outstanding warrants.
Police Capt. Brent Allred says Wheaton was shot Wednesday night as he and two other teenagers walked to the park to a fight. Allred said the dispute was between them and another 15-year-old boy.
Allred says that when that boy arrived at the park with others in a car, one person from the car fired several shots, hitting Wheaton. He died later at a hospital.
Allred says some of those involved in the dispute were documented gang members.
- Three wounded in shooting outside Lawrence sports bar
- Body found on University of Oklahoma campus
- Kansas National Guard helicopters assist firefighting operations in Cheyenne County
- 3 killed in 4-hour span in separate Kansas City shootings
- People of color make gains in mayoral races across the US
- Officer convicted of 2 misdemeanors for 'rough ride'
- Missouri proposes ban on pot companies paying taxes in cash
- Copyright 2018 by KOAMNewsNow KOAM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Copyright 2019 by KOAMNewsNow KOAM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.