Miami, Ok - Youth patients at a mental health facility in Miami rioted yesterday afternoon. Multiple police units came to Willow Crest Hospital where police chief Tom Anderson says 40 to 50 patients rioted. A staff member told KOAM a registered nurse was injured and possibly suffered a concussion. A police news release reported only minor injuries. None of the kids were injured. Police and staff dispersed the fight and locked down the facility for security reasons.
Ottawa County, Ok - Fire strikes in the Ottawa County Jail. 120 inmates were evacuated. Most are heading to Tulsa after a fire at the Ottawa County Jail. A charter bus was brought in to transport the inmates to the Tulsa County Jail. Sheriff Jeremy Floyd says the fire was discovered around noon Saturday. Floyd says it was deemed an electrical fire. No one was injured but the jail can't house prisoners until repairs are made.
Pittsburg, Ks - A motorcycle rider suffered serious injuries but is in stable condition after being hit by a vehicle that landed inside a Pittsburg business. The Kansas Highway Patrol says a ford escape driven by Salma Maquez-Aguirre hit the motorcycle then crashed into the Edward Jones Office. Troopers say Marquez was speeding when she hit James Thomas from Weir. Police say Marquez was being pursued by a deputy earlier after she fled a traffic stop and ran a red light.
Neosh County, Ks - A Frontenac teen is hospitalized with possibly serious injuries after he drove into the path of a Peterbuilt semi around 3:30 yesterday afternoon. The Kansas Highway Patrol says 18-year-old Matthew Gaddy was headed north on Highway 59 in Neosho County when he crossed the center line. He was taken to Labette County Medical Center. The truck driver was not injured.
- Camel, cow, donkey found roaming together along Kansas road
- Cherokee Nation wants to open an Arkansas casino
- Oklahoma tribal affiliate applies to operate Arkansas casino
- NTSB: Coast Guard ignored duck boat safety proposals
- Judge: University of Missouri violated open records law
- Kansas man sentenced for attempted rape of 4-year-old
- Radiation leads to demolition of Missouri's Pickard Hall
- Copyright 2018 by KOAMNewsNow KOAM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Copyright 2019 by KOAMNewsNow KOAM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.