CHEROKEE COUNTY, Kan. - Authorities say a man, suspected of pointing firearms at residents, is dead after a shootout with police.
The KBI released an update this afternoon about the shooting, saying the deceased driver was identified as Phillip A. Doerr, 28, of Falls City, Nebraska. The KBI says Doerr died from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.
911 Call Leading to Arrival of Deputies
According to the Cherokee County Sheriff's Office, deputies responded just after 5:00 pm on Monday, Jan. 16, to calls of a man pointing firearms at residents. The Kansas Bureau of Investigations later released that a woman called reporting a man being held at gunpoint by another man.
The KBI states the man fled the home in a flatbed truck. Deputies got to the area and found the suspect driving a truck. According to the Sheriff's Office, deputies tried to stop the suspect. That's when they say he fled into a field and started firing on deputies before exiting the truck.
Authorities say he then fled on foot, continuing to fire at deputies who returned fire.
They found the suspect deceased at a tree line.
The Sheriff's Office says no law enforcement officers were injured.
"In accordance with agency protocol for Officer Involved Shootings, the Cherokee County Sheriff's Office requested the Kansas Bureau of Investigation conduct the investigation." - Cherokee County Sheriff's Office
Sheriff David Groves says the Kansas Bureau of Investigations has taken over the case.
KBI Preliminary Investigation
This afternoon, Jan. 17, the KBI released additional information from its investigation. The agency says the Sheriff's Office contacted them about 8:30 pm requesting assistance in the investigation of the shooting.
KBI agents and the Crime Scene Response Team responded. Below is what the agency believes happened at this point.
"At around 5:20 p.m. on Monday, a woman called 911 from a residence at 9550 SE Bobcat in Galena, Kansas, to report a disturbance where a man was being held at gunpoint by another male subject. The armed man then left the residence in a Ford F-250 flatbed truck.
Preliminary information indicates that around 5:30 p.m., deputies from the Cherokee County Sheriff’s Office spotted the pickup truck. The driver of the truck, later identified as Phillip A. Doerr, 28, of Falls City, Nebraska, did not stop, and they engaged in a short vehicle pursuit.
The truck came to a stop near the intersection of SE 100th St. and SE Messer Rd., in Galena. Doerr exited the truck while firing a handgun at responding deputies. Multiple rounds from Doerr’s firearm hit a patrol vehicle. Both deputies returned fire, and Doerr fled into a tree line. Shots were fired at 5:42 p.m.
Then at 5:46 p.m., deputies heard a single gunshot coming from the treed area. They established a perimeter and called for drone and aircraft assistance to locate the man. At approximately 8 p.m., Doerr was discovered deceased from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. An autopsy will be conducted, but no other gunshot wounds were evident. No law enforcement officers were hurt during the incident.
The KBI will conduct a thorough and independent investigation into this incident. Once the investigation concludes, the findings will be turned over to the Cherokee County Attorney for review. This investigation is ongoing. No further information will be released at this time." - KBI
The following criminal history records come out of Missouri and Kansas.
- Nov. 2018: Arrest warrant issued for Doerr for Revocation of probation for assault, felony use of deadly weapon, possession of firearm while committing a felony (Richardson County, KS)
- Nov. 2018: Brown County (KS) charges Doerr with Flee or attempt to elude LEO by engaging in reckless driving, Interference with LEO; obstruct/resist/oppose felony warrant service or execution
- Nov. 2019: Doerr is charged in Jackson county (KS) with Criminal threat; Cause terror, evacuation or disruption
- Jan. 2020: City of Oronogo (MO) charges Doerr with "Gave false info to Officer, Resisting Arrest, Fall to obey Lawful Order, Represented The Drivers License Of Another Person To Be His/Hers -- FTA warrant issued 7/17/2020
- Oct. 2020: Charged in Jackson County (KS) with Possession of opiate, opium, narcotic or certain stimulant, Use/possess w/intent to use drug paraphernalia into human body, Interference with LEO; obstruct/resist/oppose felony warrant service or execution, Criminal possession of weapon by felon; Convicted within 5 years
- Oct. 2020: Arrested warrant issued in Brown County (KS) where Doerr allegedly held a woman against her will. His last known address at the time was Webb City, MO
- Nov. 2021: Doerr is charged in Jackson County (KS) with Theft of property or services; Value $1,500 to $25,000, Criminal damage to property; Without consent value $1000 to $25,000
(Stay with KOAM for updates on this and other breaking news)
COPYRIGHT 2023 BY KOAM NEWS NOW. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.