SARCOXIE, Mo. - Jurors rule that a former southwest Missouri minister is a sexually violent predator. The jury decided that Donald Peckham, 86, of Sarcoxie, should remain confined even though he has finished a 15-year prison sentence for sodomizing teenage boys.
According to the Associated Press, jurors reached the verdict last month in the case against Peckham, but the case records weren't publicized until Tuesday.
Prosecutors say Peckham sexually abused at least 14 boys between 12 and 16 years old over the course of 30 years and continued to victimize young boys until he was 67-years-old.
Defense attorney Amy Clay says the decision to indefinitely commit Peckham to a treatment program run by the Missouri Department of Mental Health amounts to a "life sentence" because few people get through it.
Get the latest local and national headlines straight to your email for free: Sign up here.
- Homeless veterans meals stolen in Kansas
- Nearly 30 Kansas counties, cities take on opioid industry
- Three wounded in shooting outside Lawrence sports bar
- Body found on University of Oklahoma campus
- Kansas National Guard helicopters assist firefighting operations in Cheyenne County
- 3 killed in 4-hour span in separate Kansas City shootings
- People of color make gains in mayoral races across the US
- Copyright 2018 by KOAMNewsNow KOAM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Copyright 2019 by KOAMNewsNow KOAM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.