MIAMI, Okla. - Family of 11-year-old Kayla Billings is asking that the community come together and hold a candlelight vigil for her.
Kayla died as a result of an apparent murder-suicide by her father on Tuesday.
The candlelight vigil is scheduled for Friday, October 18th at 6:30 pm in the Rotary Park (514 Circle Dr. NW) in Miami, Oklahoma.
Authorities say Kayla was killed during a domestic violence-related incident.
Investigators say suspect David Billings was inside the home of James Miller and shot three people and himself. David Billings and his daughter, Kayla, died of gunshot wounds.
James Miller and his fiancé Melissa Wallace, the mother of Kayla, both suffered gunshot wounds. According the Miami Police Chief Thomas Anderson, they made it through surgery and are in stable condition. There's no update on the condition of Wallace's pregnancy.
Authorities say David Billings and Melissa Wallace were previously in a relationship and had ongoing domestic disputes.
Kayla was a student at Nichols Upper Elementary School in Miami. The school posted in part, "If you would, please keep the family and the school in your thoughts and prayers as we grieve the loss of a precious child!"
Those who attend her vigil are encouraged to bring a candle.
Get the latest local and national headlines straight to your email for free: Sign up here.
- Homeless veterans meals stolen in Kansas
- Nearly 30 Kansas counties, cities take on opioid industry
- Three wounded in shooting outside Lawrence sports bar
- Body found on University of Oklahoma campus
- Kansas National Guard helicopters assist firefighting operations in Cheyenne County
- 3 killed in 4-hour span in separate Kansas City shootings
- People of color make gains in mayoral races across the US
- Copyright 2018 by KOAMNewsNow KOAM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Copyright 2019 by KOAMNewsNow KOAM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.