JOPLIN, Mo. - The Joplin community comes together to mourn the loss of one of their own: JHS football player Kadin Roberts-Day.
Kadin passed away on Wednesday after an asthma attack during football practice.
Now the young athlete is being remembered by friends, family and the community.
Hundreds of mourners, many high schoolers, came together to light candles in memory of Kadin on the basketball court at cunningham park.
The organizer of the vigil, who knew Kadin personally, says this is a way for everyone to show support for Kadin's family and for the community to begin to heal.
"We just wanted to come out and pay respects to his family, but be here together as a community for the kids to lean on and just be here for them, a place where we can share...tears together. We can share stories together. We can hug each other, if need be, so we just wanted to be here for them," expressed vigil leader David Durall, with Unity in the Community.
Durall says support for Kadin's family is overflowing, coming from football teams across the country remembering Jersey #63...a Joplin Eagle flying high forever in the hearts of the ones who loved him.
Get the latest local and national headlines straight to your email for free: Sign up here.
- Narwhal goes viral, a rescue puppy with a tail growing from forehead
- Homeless veterans meals stolen in Kansas
- Nearly 30 Kansas counties, cities take on opioid industry
- Three wounded in shooting outside Lawrence sports bar
- Body found on University of Oklahoma campus
- Kansas National Guard helicopters assist firefighting operations in Cheyenne County
- 3 killed in 4-hour span in separate Kansas City shootings
- Copyright 2018 by KOAMNewsNow KOAM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Copyright 2019 by KOAMNewsNow KOAM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.