Update: The Lamar Police Chief says there are 3 fatalities about 3 to 4 miles west of Golden City.
(AP) Tornadoes have touched down near Joplin, Missouri, on the eighth anniversary of a massive twister that devastated the city and killed 161 people there.
Jasper County Emergency Management Director Keith Stammer said a tornado started Wednesday night southwest of the small town of Carl Junction and moved northeast through the towns of Oronogo and Golden City. Carl Junction is about 4 miles (6.4 kilometers) north of Joplin.
Stammer said authorities were conducting a house-to-house search in Carl Junction to determine whether anyone was hurt but no injuries were reported. He said roofs of homes were damaged, along with fences, farm buildings and utility poles.
Stammer said officials won't know the true extent of the damage until the morning.
- Walmart chooses Topeka for distribution center with 300 jobs
- The GOP prepares for a rock 'em sock 'em tax battle with the Kansas Governor
- Home Invasion results in murder charge
- Police make a Miranda change in Kansas City
- Tulsa doctor charged in patient deaths
- Fayetteville police officer fatally shot, suspect dead
- Missouri minimum wage set to increase
- Copyright 2018 by KOAMNewsNow KOAM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Copyright 2019 by KOAMNewsNow KOAM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.