Mr. Food: Southern Shrimp and Grits
What You’ll Need
- 4 slices bacon
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup old-fashioned grits
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 pound frozen peeled and deveined medium-sized uncooked shrimp, thawed
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 scallions, sliced
What to Do
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook bacon until crisp; remove bacon and drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan over high heat, bring water to a boil; stir in grits and salt, cover, and cook 15 minutes, or until thickened. Reduce heat to low, add cheese, and stir until melted.
- Heat drippings in skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and garlic to skillet. Saute 3 minutes, or just until shrimp turn pink. Stir in lemon juice, hot sauce, and scallions and heat 1 minute.
- Spoon grits into a bowl, top with shrimp mixture, and sprinkle with bacon.
Check This Out!
- If you’re a fan of these shrimp and grits, then you’ll want to check out our collection of Good Ol’ Southern Breakfast Recipes for even more tasty ideas!
- We’ve got more amazing shrimp recipes you’ll love in our collection of Easy Shrimp Recipes for Every Occasion.
- Plus don’t miss our favorite Summer Seafood Recipes!