Mr. Food: Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage
What You’ll Need
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- 1 (3- to 4-pound) corned beef brisket (seasoning packet included)
- 1 1/2 cups apple juice (see Note)
- 1 green cabbage, cut into 1-inch wedges
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
What to Do
- In a 5-quart or larger slow cooker, place carrots and potatoes. Place corned beef on top and sprinkle with seasoning packet. Add apple juice.
- Cover and cook on LOW 6 hours. Add cabbage and continue cooking another 2 to 3 hours, or until beef and cabbage are tender. Remove beef, potatoes, and vegetables to a platter and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
- Learn More About This Recipe
- What is corned beef made of? Corned beef brisket is beef brisket, usually the flat cut, that is cured and brined using a special blend of salt and spices. Beef brisket is a fatty, tough cut of beef, and so it benefits from the curing process that tenderizes the meat and gives it that distinctive pink color. Slow cooking corned beef also makes it tender. As you can see, when we’re finished cooking this recipe the corned beef slices easily. It’s ready to be enjoyed with the cabbage and vegetables!
- Should I place the brisket fat side up or down in the slow cooker? The brisket’s fat side should be up.
- How do I cut corned beef brisket? Cut your cooked brisket across the grain.
- If you do not wish to have a sweet tasting corned beef, the Test Kitchen recommends substituting water in place of the apple juice.
- You can also make corned beef and cabbage the traditional way, with our recipe for Classic Corned Beef and Cabbage.