Mr. Food: Root Beer Chicken
What You’ll Need
- 1 (3- to 3-1/2-pound) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup root beer
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Place chicken pieces in baking dish; season with salt and pepper.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until no pink remains in chicken and juices run clear.
- In a medium saucepan, combine remaining ingredients; mix well and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 20 minutes or until sauce is reduced by half.
- Preheat grill to medium heat. Coat chicken with sauce and grill 5 minutes per side, basting frequently with sauce. Bring remaining sauce to a boil, then serve with chicken.
Test Kitchen Tips
- Go-alongs are the name of the game, and for this recipe, we suggest checking out some of our favorite deli salad recipes! For a twist on a classic, try our Ranch Potato Salad or, our always popular, Apple Bacon Coleslaw!
- Looking for potluck bring-alongs? Check out our collection of Easy Potluck Recipes or these Pack ‘n’ Go Picnic Recipe favorites!