Mr. Food: Roasted Sweet Onions
What You’ll Need
- 3 sweet onions, unpeeled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Trim both ends off onions (do not peel), then set each onion on a piece of aluminum foil. Drizzle onions evenly with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place 2 sprigs of thyme on top of each onion. Wrap each onion loosely in foil and place in baking dish.
- Roast 70 to 75 minutes or until a knife can be easily inserted in center of each onion. Carefully remove foil and allow onions to sit until cool enough to handle. Before digging in, remove onion skin and thyme.
Test Kitchen Tip!
- As for the type of sweet onions, they can be anything from Texas 1015’s, Vidalia, or Maui-Maui onions from the great state of Hawaii.
- We love onions in any form! Be sure to try our Cheesy Onion Potatoes, our Crispy Buttermilk Onion Rings, and our California Onion Dip!
- Plus, if you’re going to make our classic French Onion Soup, you’ll need to know How to Store Onions at home.