Mr. Food: Perfect Pineapple Fritters
What You’ll Need
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 pineapple, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch-thick round slices, then patted dry
- 1 cup powdered sugar
What to Do
- In a large bowl, combine flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt, milk, and egg; mix well.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil until hot but not smoking. Dip pineapple slices into batter, one at a time. Shake off excess batter, then carefully place in oil in batches, if necessary.
- Cook 1 to 2 minutes per side, or until golden on both sides. Drain on a paper towel-lined platter.
- Sprinkle the tops with powdered sugar. (If you like them really coated, place powdered sugar in a shallow dish then carefully dip hot fritters in the sugar, coating completely.) Serve immediately.
Test Kitchen Tip
- If batter becomes a bit too thick, add a tablespoon or two of milk to it until it’s the perfect consistency to coat the slices.