Mr. Food: Little Italy Eggplant Rollatini
You’re going to love this comforting Italian dinner! Little Italy Eggplant Rollatini is our version of a restaurant favorite. It’s basically an eggplant roll-up that’s filled with lots of creamy cheese and covered in spaghetti sauce. Once your family gets a taste, they’re going to ask for it again and again!
What You’ll Need
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups Italian-style bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 large eggplant, peeled and cut lengthwise into 1/8-inch thick slices (about 16 slices total)
- 1 (26-ounce) jar of spaghetti sauce, divided
- 1 (32-ounce) container of ricotta cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place eggs in a shallow dish; beat well. Place bread crumbs in another shallow dish.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 2 tablespoons of oil. Dip eggplant slices in egg then coat completely with bread crumbs. Place coated eggplant slices in a skillet a few at a time and cook 2 to 3 minutes per side or until golden, adding more oil as needed. Drain on a paper towel-lined platter.
- Pour 1 cup spaghetti sauce over the bottom of a 9- x 13-inch baking dish. In a large bowl, combine ricotta cheese, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, salt, and pepper; mix well.
- Place eggplant on a work surface and spread 1/4 cup ricotta cheese mixture over the top of each. Sprinkle evenly with basil. Roll up jelly-roll fashion and place seam-side down in the baking dish. Pour remaining spaghetti sauce over eggplant rolls and top with remaining 1 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.
- Top with grated Parmesan cheese before serving, if desired.
- The nutrition provided for this recipe is estimated. The breading ingredients were measured both at the beginning and at the end of the breading process. Nutrition was calculated based on the amount of egg and bread crumbs actually used. Individual results may vary.
COPYRIGHT 2022 BY KOAM NEWS NOW. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.