Mr. Food: Lemon Poppyseed Bread
What You’ll Need
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) butter, softened
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl with an electric mixer, beat butter, applesauce, sugar, and egg substitute until smooth.
- In another medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to applesauce mixture, beating until well combined. Stir in milk, lemon zest, and poppy seeds.
- Pour batter into loaf pan and bake 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly in pan.
- Meanwhile, to make a lemon glaze, stir together the lemon juice and confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Pour over loaf after removing it from the oven, then allow it to cool in pan.
Test Kitchen Tip
- For more warm weather favorites, check out our collection of Sunny Lemon Cake Recipes! Or, if you prefer more of an orange citrus flavor, try our Heavenly Orange Fluff!
- We love bread desserts! Like this yummy Blueberry Bread Pudding and this decadent Lemon Blueberry Monkey Bread! “OOH IT’S SO GOOD!!”™