Mr. Food: Italian Cream Cake
We’ve got a dessert recipe that’s as good as gold! Our bakery-style Italian Cream Cake recipe may be a box cake mix recipe, but it ends up with layer upon layer of a to-die-for from-scratch taste that’ll make you feel like a star baker. You’re gonna love how easy it is to make this fantastic cake recipe, and anyone who’s lucky enough to get a bite will too.
What You’ll Need
- 1 (16.5-ounce) package white cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 3/4 cups chopped pecans, toasted, divided
- 3 tablespoons rum (optional)
- 2 (16-ounce) containers cream cheese frosting
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat 3 (8-inch) round cake pans with cooking spray and sprinkle with flour. (Yes, 3 layers!)
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat cake mix, eggs, buttermilk, and oil 2 minutes. Stir in coconut and 3/4 cup pecans. Pour batter evenly into cake pans.
- Bake 16 to 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
- Sprinkle each cake layer with rum, if desired; let stand 10 minutes.
- Stir together frosting and remaining 1 cup pecans. Spread frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake (See Tips). Chill 2 hours before slicing.
Mr. Food Test Kitchen Tip!
- The best way to frost a cake like this is to schmear the outside of the cake with a thin layer of the frosting. Pop it in the fridge to firm up and then cover that layer with more frosting. The results…a picture perfect cake that will melt in your mouth.
COPYRIGHT 2021 BY KOAM NEWS NOW. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.