Mr. Food: Good Luck Hoppin’ John
What You’ll Need
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped cooked ham (about 1/2 pound)
- 3 (15-ounce) cans black-eyed peas, undrained
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 cups hot cooked white rice
What to Do
- In a soup pot over medium-high heat, heat oil until hot; cook onion, celery, and garlic 5 minutes until tender.
- Add ham, black-eyed peas, tomatoes, broth, red pepper flakes, salt and black pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer 25 to 30 minutes. Serve mixture over rice.
- This recipe comes from our “The Ultimate Recipes Across America Cookbook.” Click here for more info or to order your own copies of this book!