Mr. Food: George Washington’s Corn Cakes
What You’ll Need
- 2 cups yellow self-rising cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil plus extra for cooking
- Honey for garnish
- Melted butter for garnish
What to Do
- In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, baking powder, and salt; mix well. Stir in eggs, buttermilk, water, and 2 tablespoons oil until combined.
- Heat a griddle or skillet over medium heat. Heat 1 tablespoon oil, then pour 1/8 cup batter per pancake on griddle. Cook 1 to 2 minutes, or until bubbles start to form on top of each pancake. Flip pancakes and cook 1 more minute, or until golden.
- Repeat with remaining batter, adding more oil as needed. Drizzle with honey and butter before serving.
The nutrition information provided does not include any additional oil used for cooking as this amount may vary. It does include the 2 tablespoons of oil used in the batter. If tracking nutrition, please be sure to include any additional oil used for cooking in your calculations.