Mr. Food: Darn Good Corn Salad
Fresh and cut off the cob or flash-frozen, corn makes a great base for this goes-with-everything relish. Our Darn Good Corn Salad is an all-American favorite recipe that’s sure to be the hit of your next party, picnic or company dinner. Made with in season, super affordable, and fresh ingredients, this amazing corn recipe will be your favorite summer-fresh way to eat your veggies!
What You’ll Need
- 8 ears fresh corn, husked (see Options)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
- 2 large tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
What to Do
- Fill a soup pot about half-full with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Add corn, cover loosely, and return to a boil. Remove pot from heat and let stand 5 minutes or until corn is tender. Carefully drain and let cool.
- In a small bowl, combine oil, vinegar, lemon juice, parsley, salt, sugar, basil, and cayenne pepper, if desired; mix well.
- With a chef knife or corn stripper, cut kernels off cobs and place in a large bowl. Add tomatoes, bell pepper, and scallions. Pour dressing over vegetables and mix well. Cover and chill at least 2 hours before serving.
So Many Options
- If corn is not in season, no problem! Simply substitute 2 pounds of frozen, thawed, and drained corn for the fresh.
COPYRIGHT 2021 BY KOAM NEWS NOW. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.