Mr. Food: Country Store Hermit Bars
This dessert brings back memories from childhood! Our Country Store Hermit Bars are filled with sweet cinnamon, raisins, and chocolate chips. All these ingredients come together to make a comforting dessert filled with cozy down-home flavors, just like Mom and Pop used to make. So head on down to your own country store, and make these yummy dessert bars today!
What You’ll Need
- 2 sticks (1 cup) butter, softened
- 2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 10- x 15-inch rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream together butter and brown sugar. Blend in eggs.
- On low speed, beat in water, then baking soda, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Gradually mix in flour, about a third at a time. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Spread the batter on a baking sheet, making sure you level it out.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until firm. Remove pan to a wire rack to cool, then cut into bars.
So Many Options!
- Feel free to add some chopped dates or dried cherries in place of the raisins or dried cranberries. You could even mix or match, there are no rules.
COPYRIGHT 2022 BY KOAM NEWS NOW. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.