Mr. Food: Brown Sugar Banana Cake
What You’ll Need
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) butter, softened, plus another 1/2 stick butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 4 bananas)
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat granulated sugar, the 1/2 stick softened butter, sour cream, and eggs until creamy. Beat in bananas and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Add flour, baking soda, and salt; mix well. Pour into baking dish.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt remaining 1/2 stick butter. Stir in brown sugar and milk and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low and cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat and place in a large bowl. Let cool 15 minutes.
- Add confectioners’ sugar and remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla to bowl and beat with electric mixer until smooth. Spread frosting over cake and serve.
For another great brown sugar dessert, check out our recipe for Brown Sugar Brownies!