Mr. Food: Beef Bourguignon
Howard’s in the kitchen whipping up his version of this French classic! Inspired by Julia Child herself, we know you’re going to love our Beef Bourguignon. Perfectly tender beef, fresh vegetables, and a rich sauce make this a meal that will please everyone around the dinner table. We think Julia would agree, this tasty dish sounds fancy, but is super easy to make! And that’s what makes our “Boeuf Bourguignon”, oh so special.
What You’ll Need
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 pounds boneless beef chuck, cut into 1-1/2-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 1/4 cups beef broth
- 1 cup Burgundy or other dry red wine
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch chunks
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch chunks
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, cut in half
- 1 cup pearl onions
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
What to Do
- In a large bowl, combine thyme and pepper. Add beef chunks and toss to coat.
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat oil until hot; add beef and brown 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add broth, wine, and garlic.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, and onions; cover and continue cooking 30 minutes or until meat is tender, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, combine water and flour (this is called a slurry–see, you learned something new today); gradually stir mixture into stew. Continue cooking, uncovered, an additional 5 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
COPYRIGHT 2022 BY KOAM NEWS NOW. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.