Mr. Food: Baked Macaroni and Eggplant Neapolitan
Baked Macaroni and Eggplant Neapolitan is like eggplant parmigiana and baked ziti all rolled into one. Every mouthful is pure delight! We can’t get enough of this truly Italian way to chow down; so don’t wait to bring this easy macaroni and eggplant recipe to your dinner table!
What You’ll Need
- 16 ounces ziti pasta
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil, divided
- 1 eggplant, peeled and thinly sliced
- Salt for sprinkling
- Garlic powder for sprinkling
- 1 (24-ounce) jar spaghetti sauce, divided
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
What to Do
- Cook ziti according to package directions; drain well and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat until hot, but not smoking. Sprinkle eggplant lightly with salt and garlic powder. Cook eggplant in batches 2 to 4 minutes or until browned on both sides. Place eggplant on a paper towel-lined platter.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Reserve 1 cup spaghetti sauce; combine remaining sauce with cooked ziti.
- Layer half the ziti mixture in prepared baking dish, then 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, half the eggplant, and 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese; repeat layers. Top with reserved 1 cup spaghetti sauce, and remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes, remove from oven. Add remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and bake 5 more minutes or until heated through.
COPYRIGHT 2021 BY KOAM NEWS NOW. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.