Mr. Food: Baked Bean Fritters
What You’ll Need
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 eggs
- 2 (16-ounce) cans baked beans, drained and sauce reserved
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup vegetable oil
What to Do
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, black pepper, and eggs until well blended. Add remaining ingredients, except reserved sauce and oil.
- In a large skillet over medium-low heat, heat 1/2 cup oil until hot. Drop batter by teaspoonfuls into oil; cook 2 to 3 minutes per side or until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Repeat until all batter is used, adding oil as needed.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over low heat, heat reserved baked-bean sauce until warm. Serve as a dipping sauce with fritters.
After the fritters are drained, place them on a baking sheet and keep warm in a 300-degree F oven until you’ve finished cooking the whole batch.