Missouri AG provides tips to avoid charity fraud
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. – Missouri Attorney General Eric Schmitt is urging Missourians to exercise caution before donating to charities aiding in coronavirus outreach.
The Missouri Attorney General’s Office offers these tips to avoid charity fraud:
• Don’t judge a charity by its name. False charities may use names that closely resemble legitimate charities.
• Don’t be pressured. Give only when you are comfortable with the charity.
• Don’t commit over the phone. Ask for written information.
• Avoid cash donations and make checks payable to the organization, not to an individual.
• Insist on a tax-deductible receipt indicating the amount contributed.
• When in doubt, call the charity and ask them if they are aware of the solicitations being done in their name.
• Do not allow solicitors to enter your home.