Man charged with desecration of body in Arcadia death investigation

CRAWFORD COUNTY, Kan. – A prosecutor files charges in an Arcadia, Kansas death investigation. Authorities believe the victim died in Kansas City, but say his body was found in Arcadia.

The Crawford County Prosecutor’s Office filed charges today, Jan. 19, 2021, against Nicholas Adam Carrillo.

On Jan. 13, 2021 around 11:55 p.m., Crawford County deputies got a tip indicating that a body could be found at 111 S. Kansas in Arcadia. Deputies went to the home and made contact with 37-year-old Nichola Carrillo. According to the Kansas Bureau of Investigation, Carrillo gave deputies permission to look around the property. While searching, deputies found a deceased male in the backyard. Authorities say Carrillo fled from the area on foot.

On Jan. 14, the Sheriff’s Office requested help from the KBI. Special agents and the Crime Scene Response Team responded to Arcadia to investigate.

Authorities found and arrested Carrillo on Jan. 15.

(Police search for person of interest in Arcadia death investigationPolice arrest person of interest in Arcadia death investigation)

The Crawford County Prosecutor’s Office today filed charges of criminal desecration of a body, possession of opiates, possession of drug paraphernalia and interference with law enforcement. Court documents lay out count 3, criminal desecration of a body, as the following:

“COUNT 3. That on or about the 13th day of January, 2021, in Crawford County, Kansas, Nicholas Adam Carrillo, then and there being present did unlawfully and knowingly obtain or attempt to obtain unauthorized control of a dead body or remains of a human being or the coffin, urn or other article containing a dead body or remains of a human being. In violation of K.S.A. 21-6205(a)(1), Criminal Desecration, a class A nonperson misdemeanor.”

He’s being held in the Crawford County Jail on a $15,000 bond.

The KBI says the deceased man was reported missing to the Kansas City, Missouri Police Department. Investigators believe the death happened in Kansas City, Mo. and are still looking into his death.

KOAM has reached out to the Kansas City Police Department for additional details.