Joplin’s Carnegie Library building fire; Historic structure is 120 years old

Building is privately held. Built in 1902 the library moved out of this building in the late 1970s
024768cb 6697 4994 98a0 832a5a582430

JOPLIN, Mo. — First call for fire just after 5 a.m. Joplin Fire observed heavy smoke coming from basement area.

Multiple units arrived on the scene work fire on opposite corners of the building, but all focused on the basement interior. 

The NE corner (front) and the SW corner at the rear.

The SW corner is the children’s dept entrance. Firefighters made entry into this 2-story section of the building and fed lines as they fought an interior fire.

One could observe heavy black smoke coming from west windows in this area.

Fire was declared under control at 8:12 a.m. however hot spots remained throughout the basement area.

> RELATED >> JOPLIN PUBLIC LIBRARY CELEBRATES 120 YEARS AND 5 ON 20th 

Joplin Fire Chief Gerald Ezell is on the scene as well as the Joplin Fire Marshal Dale Brooks.

Deputy Fire Chief Andy Nimmo tells us they requested mutual aid from Redings Mill Fire and Carl Junction Fire.

This is the former Joplin Public Library, the Carnegie Library. We recently featured as JPL celebrated 120 years of service to Joplin.

The building has been privately owned since the late 70s. The family operated a tech school for years while the family had a private apartment/residence inside the building. The building is structurally sound. and it has been secured for years. The property manager told us on scene this morning they had to re-secure the building last week since it appeared someone had gotten inside. However no persons were found.

“It was 1902 when the first Joplin library was built at 9th and Wall. Andrew Carnegie provided a $40,000 grant to build it in Joplin. His foundation went on to fund over 2,500 other libraries across the world.” — KOAM, JLNews1st

The building is privately owned and has been for decades.

Ebd268fc 6578 4e0f 92e0 243d1ac68bc6

IMAGE FROM OUR RECENT KOAM ARTICLE

Built in 1902, a two-story, Classical Revival style steel frame building sheathed in brick and white Carthage marble. It measures 79 feet by 86 feet and features a pedimented Ionic order porch which is distyle in antis. A four-bay two story addition was added in 1916.” — U.S. NATIONAL REGISTRY OF HISTORIC PLACES

We will update details live! from the scene as Shannon Becker reports.

Stay with Joplin News First on KOAM News Now as we follow this breaking news story. Scroll below and sign up for our JLNews1st email list so you don’t miss an article.

FOLLOW OUR SOCIALS, SEE NEWS WHILE YOU SURF…

 

View this profile on Instagram

 

Joplin News First (@joplinnewsfirst) • Instagram photos and videos