Joplin surpasses 100 coronavirus-related deaths
JOPLIN, Mo. – The Joplin Health Department reports five additional deaths resulting from COVID-19.
The City released the following:
The Joplin Health Department is sad to report the deaths of five Joplin residents with coronavirus being a significant condition contributing to the deaths. This announcement brings the total count to 105 deaths in Joplin. The residents include two females, ages 73 and 93; and three males, ages 76, 88, and 95. The 88-year-old male and 93-year-old female were residents of a long-term care facility.
City statistics are listed on the COVID-19 dashboard at www.joplinmo.org/coronavirus . The dashboard is a collaborative project of the Joplin Health Department and University of Missouri Extension Office’s “All Things Missouri”.
As Joplin Health Department continues to work with residents in our community, they remind everyone of the importance in taking self-care actions to prevent the spread of COVID-19. These include:
- Wearing a face covering in public places is strongly recommended.
- Practice social distancing of 6 feet or more between you and others.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. An alcohol-based hand sanitizer containing at least 60% alcohol can be used if soap and water are not available.
- Get a flu shot.
- Stay home if you are sick.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces in homes, offices and other workplaces by using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
Older adults and people with serious underlying medical conditions may be at higher risk for more serious complications from COVID-19. While COVID-19 is spread from person to person, more than 80% of the patients who develop it will only become mildly ill. The concern is for patients with underlying medical conditions and the elderly, who are more likely to need hospital-level supportive care.
The public is reminded if experiencing symptoms to contact your health care provider for medical advice before presenting at their office. Testing information, as well as other COVID-related announcements can be found at www.joplinmo.org/coronavirus. More details about coronavirus is also listed at https://www.cdc.gov/ .
The reporting of Covid-19 related deaths from the City may be delayed due to the time it takes to acquire confirmation that the death meets the vital record case definition and lists Covid-19 as a contributing factor.