Joplin Police Chief announces retirement
JOPLIN, Mo. — Joplin Police Chief Matt Stewart has announced his retirement effective January 3, 2020, according to the City.
Stewart started with the Joplin Police Department on January 3rd, 2000. He will have served with the department for 20 years.
During his tenure with the Joplin Police Department he served in numerous positions from patrol, SWAT, Training, Internal Affairs, and Investigations. Stewart was promoted to the rank of police chief in March 2016.
Stewart is a graduate of the Missouri Police Chief’s Command College Session 3 and the FBI National Academy Session 256.
The City says he was crucial in implementing multiple organizational goals such as gaining accreditation with the Commission of Accreditation of Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA). He has held multiple board positions within the Joplin community including:
• Ozarks Drug Enforcement Team, Board Member
• Southwest Missouri Cyber Crimes Task Force, Chair
• One Joplin Human Services Committee, Member
• Children’s Center of Southwest Missouri, Executive Board
• Missouri Cyber Crimes Executive Board, Member
• Missouri Task Force on the Prevention of Sexual Abuse, Board Member
• Tri-States Major Case Squad, Former Chair
• CALEA Executive Director Regional Advisory Group, Member
• Mercy Hospital Board of Directors, Board Member
“Having been with the Joplin Police Department for a number of years, Chief Stewart brought a great deal of experience to the position,” said Interim City Manager Dan Pekarek. “He has been a strong leader for the City as well as the community. Most recently, he was instrumental in guiding the department through the upcoming change of the City’s police retirement benefit, and his work with our community service partners has created a collaborative environment to study and resolve issues within the city. I appreciate his service to the City and our citizens and wish him well in the next phase of his life.”
Get the latest local and national headlines straight to your email for free: Sign up here.
COPYRIGHT 2020 BY KOAM. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.