Heartland Rural Electric hosts Virtual Town Hall
Heartland Rural Electric Cooperative, serving rural southeast Kansas, is about to host a virtual town hall discussing the impacts on customers’ March bill. Due to recent extreme weather, many residents have seen an increase on their electric bill.
You can watch the Town Hall above, or, click here to watch the Facebook Live.
It starts at 11:30 a.m., March, 3, 2021.
The following is a release from Heartland on March 1, 2021:
Due to the extreme cold weather in the middle of February, Heartland Rural Electric Cooperative will be delaying cycle 1 billing by up to 10 days. This is only impacting the consumer-members that normally would have their bills issued on March 1st, they will instead be sent no later than March 10th.
Heartland is working hard to minimize any surprises in the electric bills due to the increased fuel costs associated with the extreme weather, even though the impacts are not fully understood yet. Rest assured, Heartland is not including any portion of higher fuel costs in the bills issued in March of 2021.
The Heartland Board of Directors took swift action to help protect the members during their February 26th Board meeting. They voted to cap the Power Cost Adjustment (PCA) portion of the electric bill at $0.00 for the bills being issued in March of 2021. This will allow more time to determine what the actual costs will be from this unprecedented weather event and spread them out over a few months instead of being billed all at once. We will continue to communicate the plan to address this as we learn more.
Additional items to note for the electric bills:
- The average Heartland consumer-member used more energy this February due to the extreme cold than a normal February.
- Higher energy consumption will lead to higher electric bills, but the cost per kilowatt-hour will not be impacted by the PCA for February 2021 usage.
- Electric bills will have the same number of days included on it as if it were sent on the 1st (roughly 28 days).
- The bills will be due 14 days after they are sent, the same as always.
- If you need assistance with your bill from Heartland, please call our dedicated and friendly staff at 1-800-835-9586, Monday-Friday, 8:00am-4:30pm.
Thanks for your patience as we work through this extreme weather event.